Reading Log, 2022
I read forty-one books in 2022, and looking back I see a lot of thematic resonance in the books I chose:
- Lots of time travel (or time travel-ish) stories: This Time Tomorrow, Blackout, This is How You Lose the Time War, The Midnight Library, Sea of Tranquility, The Shining Girls. What is my subconscious trying to tell me?
- Spear and Matrix bouncing off each other in a back-to-back duet
- Homeland Elegies and Concepcion each exploring what it means to be an immigrant in the USA, in this particular political moment
- Finding Ada Palmer’s Terra Ignota series via friends
- Diving back into the Oxford time-travel series via Blackout and All Clear
- Another Locked Tomb book, which again raised more questions than it answered
- The NY nostalgia of LaserWriter II (thank you Max, I have to return your copy)
- Finally reading Neuromancer, which was a little bit like finally getting the joke
- Cloud Cuckoo Land and its mix of characters and eras
I definitely found it more challenging to read in sustained bursts last year, just due to my work and my kids’ school schedules. I also continued to watch a lot of movies, trading that for reading time. Instead of setting a numeric reading goal for 2023 I think I’m going to focus on discussing what I’ve read with friends.